Saturday, October 03, 2009

Conservatives love reminding me of my dead father



This may be sound a bit hyperbolic, but I can't control the exact feeling that I had when I saw these right wingers applaud the news of Chicago losing its Olympic bid. Yesterday when I saw this video, along with the scores of utterly reprehensible conservatives doing proverbial endzone dances because they perceived the failed bid as an Obama loss - I immediately thought about a story that my father told me that breaks my heart every time I think about it. The three times that I saw my father cry had nothing to do with a joyous occasion, a tearjerker of a movie, not even the cancer that took his life. Salty tears flowed down my old man's trademark beard stubbled face every time he struggled to tell a painful story about returning to his Navy ship to find his shipmates literally celebrating the death of John F Kennedy. Living through Jim Crow South Carolina, seeing people he knew personally hung until their necks snapped, horrors of that magnitude paled in comparison after he came face to face with inherent evil that day on the Naval Fighting Ship that he called home for most of the year.

I'm not saying that the conservatives who celebrated Chicago losing its Olympic bid yesterday wish death on our President, or that they would openly celebrate his untimely passing if that were to happen. But the unadulterated hate for Obama that I witnessed yesterday, his Presidency thus far for that matter, too frequently reminds me of my father's emotional Kryptonite. That's all.

5 comments:

markus said...

Great post. And this from a group of people who were quick to label people "Un-American" for having opposition to the war. Wanting your president to fail is as Un-American has it gets.

SaraToday said...

It's weird and disturbing how much joy some people take in the act of hating.

Thank you for the post.

Unknown said...

I'm sorry to say that I'm not even surprised. Not even a little bit, really. I don't dare visit any of the blogs, because I don't need that kind of stress at 9:00 in the morning, but I wouldn't be surprised to see dumb-ass analogies to peace talks in Iran.

Because, you know, Iran and the Olympic Games are the exact same thing.

*smh*

Neo Dobby said...

I agree. He must be doing a great job if his detractors are hailing a failed Olympic bid as "embarrassing" and the "lowest point in his presidency". It's only fair that Rio gets a turn; the Olympics are worldwide, and South America has never had a chance to host, while the US alone has already hosted 8 Olympic games. So, its not a major failure on Obama's part, the simple fact is: we don't deserve it right now, we need to give someone else a chance. However, I respect the fact that the he took time to make a bid for the US, & specifically, the city of his core constituency. Although odds were stacked against Chi, it would have been a disservice to not make the effort, when a victory would've been so rewarding. This unprecedented act for a US Pres. was not done out of narcissism, but out of samaritanism.

L. Jerome said...

Looking back on the last 8 years, I criticized like crazy, but I never hoped for King George 2nd's failure. I continued to hope he would do something good and peaceful. I was frequently disappointed, but the more he failed, the worse we all had it. Wanting your president to fail is masochistic (and the desire of complete morons).