Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Dear Buddy

Dear Buddy,

It has been nearly a year since that bastard took you away from everyone who loves you, so I decided to write you this letter.(Lets just hope they get high speed Internet in Heaven) Well, since you have been gone nothing much has changed, I'm still single, Hip Hop still sucks, Bush is even more of a nightmare this term, and ole' girl is getting married.(ex girlfriend) Speaking of her, remember all those hours I would talk to you about her when cupid decided to take a shit in my cereal? I remember that "have you lost your motherfucking mind" look that you gave me when I was talking about her and a tear strolled down my face, that was some classic shit man.(Embarassing, but classic) You were always there brother, listening to my constant whining and you never shamed me about it when the smoke cleared. I definitely love you for that.

Remember the time when you told me that you were going to be the "designated driver" when we went out to that club a couple of years ago? I had no idea that you were drinking that night, until I heard a cop knock on the car window as you and I were both asleep, stopped at a traffic light. I still remember you screaming "Shut the fuck up!" when the cop was being an asshole and I kept calling him and his partner "Serpico", "Kojak", "Cagney and Lacy", and "Murtaugh and Riggs".

Oh shit, I almost forgot this one. How about that time when we were in that North Carolina club and those guys were talking shit to you? Remember as we approached them, the crowd knew we meant business and they parted like the red sea and shit to get out of our way?? Yeah man, those were some good times.

OK, you got me, I can't lie to you, I am really writing this letter to apologize because over the past year I have been a horrible friend. When you passed I promised myself that I would visit your parents to see how they were doing, make sure everything was OK. To be honest, I have driven past their house about 20 times meaning to go inside, but couldn't find the courage to go to the door and see the hurt in their eyes from losing their only son. I have to apologize for disrespecting your father's wishes of "not looking to retaliate" against your killer. This is hard to say, but right after his sincere warning what do I do? I went to where I knew that your killer hung out at, and damn near hunted that motherfucker for about a week, with the intent of giving him a first class ticket to hell. Dear friend, your father seems like a very nice man and I'm sorry I disrespected him like that.

When some friends learned that I was hunting your killer, they had kind of an "intervention" with me and a pastor, I guess to straighten me out. I still remember the pastor saying "Vengeance is mine said the lord", and he also said, "God will make that young man pay for his sins". Regrettably, I told they pastor, "Yeah, but his ass is taking too motherfucking long!!" I know, that's bad, I apologize Buddy.

Even recently, when I learned that a bartender at a bar that I go to grew up with your killer I informed him that he killed my friend. When he got amazingly silent, I went to my car and got the billy club that I keep in my car and started to go back inside the bar and beat some key information out of him. But I don't need to tell you about that story, because I felt your presence holding me back, because for some reason I couldn't go back in the club. That was you, thanks, because "the ladies" have said that they "like my ass" so I'm not trying to showcase said ass in prison. So again, I must apologize my dear friend, because of the disappointment I have been as a friend since your passing.

But while I'm apologizing I must call you out though, because we are friends I am sure that you will understand. OK, because you have "gotten your wings" I am most certain that you wouldn't want me to hurt anyone or get hurt avenging your death. I have to call you out because the old Buddy would have been the first one, blasting like the last scene in "Scarface" if someone had done that to me. Hey I just call them like I see them, but I digress.

In closing, you were the best friend a guy could have and I miss you dearly. We will hang out again, and this time next year I hope to send you a letter with better overall behavior to report to you. So, tell everyone I said what's up, and when my father is bitching to you about me writing about him just ask him "If it is true or not". That will silence him, albeit momentarily. Peace. I love you man.

Love HumanityCritic R.I.P Fletcher "Buddy" Parker

News Footage surrounding friend's death

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear HC,

I am relieved to hear of the adjustment you are making with Buddy's untimely death. I understand natural urges that lead to desires to retaliate, but stronger influences prevent you from doing otherwise. I commend you for this as difficult as this process can be. Know that I am sending positive thoughts your way.

With that said, you have a tremendously-unique way of drawing out the sensitivity in others that sometimes is beyond comprehension. I admire your gift. Take care of yourself, soxlove

feels good b n FREE said...

it's cathartic to write a loved one we lost sometimes...
i did it two post ago on my spot.

Stay up

Anonymous said...

Good post man. I remember when you wrote the first letter A YEAR AGO so to see you come with more is awesome. Keep up the great writing.

emeralda said...

dear HC
see, i don't wanna judge your therapist or something like that, i am really not in the position to say anything actually but i still wanted to share the thought that corssed my mind while reading this very moving post:
life seems to be the best therapist after all, doesn't it?
i mean....not going into that club because your buddy 'kept' you back?....violence, thats probably the very sad and tough lesson. isn't the answer. as simple as always and as difficult to accept when you feel the pain, anger and thirst for vengeance. it s always so easy to say and in reality so difficult to live. and i am sure buddy is damn proud of you. i think so at least. or feel it.
i love you for sharing so honestly and moving and touching your letter to him with us.
thank you. it reminds me of my friends who are gone.
virtual hugs
piranha

Amadeo said...

*Pours out some guiness*

Lou Lou said...

honest and raw
i feel your pain, your outrage, your sadness
but most of all your love for your friend which shines through

hugs

Anonymous said...

My grandmother once told me that a person has truly died once they are forgotten. This post was extremely moving.

--------Georgiapeacj

LadyLee said...

Moving post... nice way to remember your friend...

Schatzi said...

Great post HC. I'm sure he heard every word of it!!

Luke Cage said...

Nice presentation HC. I've got my head down, hat off and administering a prayer for your fallen friend. R.I.P. dude...

msjaim said...

To not risk the act of blog/Thread jacking, Ill just say Damn, feel better & Karma is a MF!...here's a cyber hug man!

Dr. Deb said...

HC,
What a senseless and untimely death. I can feel the sorrow in your words and the regret(s) in your heart. But what comes through in a vibrant way is your resiliency. It is strong.

Peace to you and yours,
Deb

kathi said...

Thanks for sharing that with us.

DJ Diva said...

I'm pouring out some rum and coke for u'r friend...

I still miss my friend Science...

T-Baby said...

I appreciate you sharing this. I know what it is like to loose a friend.

Brotha Buck said...

Great post, man. You threw me for a loop for a second, but I gotcha.

Unknown said...

"as day comes and night falls..."

no one really dies. the good ones always tug at me every now and then to remind and warn me..

Nia said...

Oh wow, you rendered me speechless.

CaffeineDiva said...

Your letter is very moving and I know that Buddy appreciates it.
Much love to you HC.

Anonymous said...

My friend is gone.

I didn't know her nearly as well as you knew Buddy, and I can't imagine how much worse off I would be right now if I had. As unstable as I am, I probably wouldn't be here. As it is, I miss her terribly, and I know you miss Buddy, too.

You're a strong person for being able to come around from having such strong, angry feelings, no matter how long it may take.

Keep ya head up.

mai

melette said...

You will put on the garments of praise soon. I will be praying for justice to be done. God bless Buddy's family.

Black Wombmyn Chat said...

In the midst of such tragedy, I love to be reminded how death is simply a transition. You knowing that Buddy's spirit held you back is awesome.

Sandi K said...

HC, It is commendable that you showed restraint out of respect for your friend who is gone and more importantly for his father who is still here. I think that if you were to send him this in a letter it would touch him and let him know that he is not alone in honoring the memory of his son. It seems to me that he still has one in you.
Much love!

MsPerdie said...

That is a nice post....

Anonymous said...

HC: Thanks for the backup girl, Danny boy is just mad because I never paid his mother for the sloppy blowjob that she gave me. His anger comes from the fact that they needed that money to pay their rent.

Anonymous said...

Olivia: To Dannyboy...so I guess this means since you are a disrespectful asshole that when HC throat chops your ignorant ass, it will also be well deserved. The moral of this story is to refrain from talking about shit you know nothing about!

btw...loved the post HC...I never fail to be shocked by the magnitude of the hating on here